|Our Commitment to Responsible Care®
Responsible Care® is a successful industry initiative to improve public dialogue and company safety and environmental performance. From its beginnings in Canada in 1985, the initiative has now extended to nearly 50 countries worldwide. Since its inception in the United States in 1988, Responsible Care companies have reduced air emissions by 70 percent, and their collective worker safety record is four times better than the average of the U.S. manufacturing sector. Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA, Inc. is a charter member of the U.S. Responsible Care initiative.
Our petrochemicals manufacturing facilities, the Research and Development Center, and the Corporate Office are Responsible Care facilities, and they are governed by a set of practices and codes of conduct incorporated into a single integrated management system. Since 2003, the Advanced Integrated Management System (AIMS) has been the infrastructure by which we meet our Responsible Care obligations.
Although Responsible Care is a voluntary initiative, it is an obligation for membership in the American Chemistry Council. Specifically, member companies of the American Chemistry Council must actively participate in Responsible Care, and are obligated to:
- Implement the Responsible Care Security Code
- Gain third-party verification of implementation of a Responsible Care management system
- Measure and report on appropriate Health, Safety, and Environmental (HSE) performance metrics, both those designated by the ACC as well as internal, company metrics
- Document Executive commitment to the Guiding Principles of Responsible Care.
As a Responsible Care company, Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA pledges to continually improve its health, safety, environmental, and security performance, and to share information on its performance with the public. Through the Responsible Care performance website, Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA joins other ACC members in making available the most performance information of any private sector group in the country.
Specifically, for Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA, Responsible Care is:
- Emergency planning and dialogue with local communities
- Pollution prevention, including safe management and reduction of waste
- Process safety
- Reduction of risks in transportation, storage, and handling of chemicals
- Protection of employee health and safety
- Safety in the design, manufacture, marketing, distribution and use of our products
- Security of people, property, products, process, information, and information systems
As part of Responsible Care, Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA maintains an active product stewardship program for its products, including Product Summaries and handing/safe use information.
The Total Petrochemicals & Refining USA Health, Safety and Environmental Policy supports all of the information provided above, and provides the framework for implementation of and compliance with the provisions of a Responsible Care Management System.