Total is a leading multinational energy company with 96,400 employees and operations in more than 130 countries. Together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, Total is the fourth largest publicly-traded integrated international oil and gas company in the world.
Total engages in all aspects of the petroleum industry, including Upstream operations (oil and gas exploration, development and production, LNG) and Downstream operations (refining, marketing and the trading and shipping of crude oil and petroleum products).
Total also produces base chemicals (petrochemicals and fertilizers) and specialty chemicals for the industrial and consumer markets. In addition, Total has interests in the coal mining and power generation sector.
A leader in each of the core businesses
- World's fourth-largest publicly-traded integrated oil and gas company
- Largest market capitalization on the Paris Bourse and the eurozone
- 95,000 employees
- Operations in more than 130 countries
- Exploration and production operations in 42 countries
- Producer in 30 countries
- Production: 2.36 million barrels of oil equivalent per day
- Proved reserves: 11.1 billion barrels of oil equivalent
- Proved and probable reserves: 20.5 billion barrels of oil equivalent
No. 1 Western European Refiner-Marketer and No. 1 marketer in Africa
- Refining capacity: approximately 2.7 million barrels per day
- Sales of petroleum products: approximately 3.8 million barrels per day
- Retail network: nearly 17,000 service stations
- Brands: TOTAL, Elf, Elan, AS 24
- One of the world's leading integrated producers
Total has exploration and production activities in 42 countries and produces oil and gas in 30 countries. Our output was 2.36 million barrels of oil equivalent per day. Europe, Africa and the Middle East are our main producing regions, followed by North and South America and Asia. Total has a solid, diversified portfolio of proved reserves representing 11.1 billion barrels of oil equivalent and of proved and probable reserves of 20.5 billion barrels of oil equivalent .
The Gas & Power division encompasses the marketing, trading, transport and storage of natural gas and liquefied natural gas (LNG), LNG re-gasification and the maritime transport and trading of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). It also includes power generation from combined cycle gas plants and renewable energies, the trading and marketing of electricity as well as the production and marketing of coal. Total is continuing to develop its global presence in each of these activities.
No.1 in Western European refining/marketing and No.1 in African marketing , Total directly operates 13 of the 27 refineries in which it has interests. Total's retail network of nearly 17,000 service stations is mainly located in Europe and Africa. Total's refining capacity is approximately 2.7 million barrels per day and approximately 3.8 million barrels per day of petroleum products were sold. Outside Europe, Total's priority focus is on fast-growing markets in Africa, where we are the No.1 marketer with an 11% marketshare, around the Mediterranean Rim and in Southeast Asia.
Total is pursuing an international development strategy in specialty products, particularly LPG in Asia and South America. Total distributes lubricants in more than 150 countries and has refueling stations in over 500 airports worldwide.
Total is a leading global crude oil and refined product trader, handling an average of approximately 5 million barrels per day.
In Chemicals, Total is one of the world's largest integrated producers and a European or global leader in each of our markets.
- Base Chemicals activities encompass petrochemicals (Total Petrochemicals) including base petrochemicals (the production of olefins and aromatics), polyethylene, polypropylene and styrenics, as well as fertilizers (Grande Paroisse).
- Specialties include rubber processing (Hutchinson), resins (Cray Valley, Sartomer and Cook Composites & Polymers), adhesives (Bostik) and electroplating (Atotech).
Our responsibilities as a manufacturer
As an international energy provider and chemicals producer, Total is directly concerned by major global economic, human resources and environmental issues. Total is committed to tangible objectives as part of its corporate social responsibility process, whose procedures, practices and performance are clearly defined and disclosed.
Total's main challenges as a manufacturer are sustainably developing energy supply, ensuring the safety of operations and reducing their environmental footprint, helping to combat climate change, respecting and promoting human rights, respecting neighboring communities, and contributing to the development of host countries.